Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Commenting on the 2009 Oscar nominations...


Best Picture:

Avatar
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious
A Serious Man
Up
Up in the Air


So the big thing this year is the 10 movies up for best picture. I think its a good thing just given that UP made best picture, hopefully this means that just because a movie is animated is won't be shunted to the Best Animated Film category alone. Of course this does allow in movies such as The Blind Side. Wade said that if this wins he will be boycotting the Oscars from now on. I'm just upset because we always see the films up for Best Picture, and I really didn't want to see this.

I don't have any big issues with the nominated films that I've seen. It's a nice mix of small film and crowdpleasers. Definitely pulling for The Hurt Locker, although as long as its not Avatar or The Blind Side, I'll be OK.

Best Director:

James Cameron - Avatar
Kathryn Bigelow - The Hurt Locker
Quentin Tarantino - Inglourious Basterds
Precious - Lee Daniels
Up in the Air - Jason Reitman

My vote would be for Kathryn Bigelow or Jason Reitman. I disagree with the nom for James Cameron, but it was expected.

Got to be Kathryn Bigelow here. I really hope its not James Cameron just so I don't have to listen to that blowhard give a speech.

Best Actor:

Jeff Bridges - Crazy Heart
George Clooney - Up in the Air
Colin Firth - A Single Man
Morgan Freeman - Invictus
Jeremy Renner - The Hurt Locker

I haven't seen Invictus yet, but I really want Colin Firth to win this. I love him and he was amazing in A Single Man. The buzz is that Jeff Bridges is a lock, but I didn't think his performance was especially amazing.

I don't think Jeff Bridges and, from what I've heard, Morgan Freeman should be here. There are probably more deserving performances out there. Go Jeremy Renner.

Best Actress:

Sandra Bullock - The Blind Side
Helen Mirren - The Last Station

Carey Mulligan - An Education
Gabourey Sidibe - Precious
Meryl Streep - Julie & Julia

Not to be a snob, but Sandra Bullock? Seriously?!! Carey Mulligan was great in An Education, but we need to quite a few in this category. Congrats to Meryl Streep though on her 16th nomination. While I didn't especially love Julie & Julia, her performance was fantastic; I loved every minute she was on screen.

Here's hoping for a 2002 style split vote between Meryl Streep and Sandra Bullock, with Carey Mulligan in the Adrien Brody role as surprise winner.

Best Supporting Actor:

Matt Damon - Invictus
Woody Harrelson - The Messenger

Christopher Plummer - The Last Station
Stanley Tucci - The Lovely Bones

Christoph Waltz - Inglourious Basterds

We have a lot of work to do before March 7th...

This is probably Christoph Waltz's to lose. My main issue is who didn't get nominated, i.e. Anthony Mackie in The Hurt Locker or Stanley Tucci in Julie & Julia, not The Lovely Bones or Alfred Molina in An Education or, heck, even Alec Baldwin in It's Complicated. And yes, I am judging some of these films before I've seen them.

Best Supporting Actress:

Penelope Cruz - Nine
Vera Farmiga - Up in the Air
Maggie Gyllenhaal - Crazy Heart
Anna Kendrick - Up in the Air
Mo'Nique - Precious

I really disagree with both the nomination of Maggie Gyllenhaal (nothing special in her role/performance) and Anna Kendrick. Throughout Up in the Air, I though Anna Kendrick was the weakest player and her performance pulled me out of the film repeatedly.

Not much to say about this one, other than Vera Farmiga was probably my favorite here. It would've been really awesome to see either Melanie Laurent or Diane Kruger from Inglourious Basterds here, but what are you goin' to do?

Yay for Oscars!! Let hope those who deserve it win...

1 comment:

  1. Okay so I had my reservations on the Oscar peeps nominating ten films this year, and rightly so. At least Transformers 2 didn't get the nod.
    Like Kinsey and Wade, I'm glad to see an animated film nominated. And like the Goodenbergers, I will be greatly disappointed if Avatar or The Blind Side nab the great golden statue. (In fact, I refuse to even see Avatar. Being a huge fan of Titanic, this film does not appeal to me at all. And I can't bring myself to sit through the ego of James Cameron). I haven't seen all of the films yet, but if I had to say who was going to win right now, I'd say...man this is hard Precious (of course my predictions will rightly change as I see the other films in the next few weeks).

    Best Director:
    Honestly I would like it if Kathyrn Bigelow won, just to rub it in Cameron's face...because...wait for it...they were married at one point. But my bet is for Precious once again.

    Best Actor:
    Hands down, I'm going with my gut on this Colin Firth was amazing and absolutely beautiful in The Single Man.
    I can't believev that Wade and Kinsey picked Freeman for this...all he did in this movie was wave his hand around like a normal politician, but I suppose that is real enough as it can get right?

    Best Actress:
    I'd love to see Streep grab this one, because she gets all of these nominations, but never takes one home. I'm going to say that either Helen Mirren gets this or Carey Mulligan. I really enjoyed her performance in An Education, but I'm not sure it is enough to get her the king of all dust collectors. :)

    Best Supporting Actor:
    I LOVED Christoph Waltz in Inglorious Bastards. Is that weird saying you liked how an actor portratyed a quircky nazi who liked to play a game of cat and mouse? I just really enjoyed his character, and believe he pulled it off very well. But I've always been a huge advocate for villons.

    Best Supporting Actress:
    My hunch on this is it will be Mo'Nique in Precious. Just a hunch. I'd like to see Vera Farmiga grab it though. I really thought she played a GREAT equal to George in Up in the Air. And she has not let me down in most of the movies she has acted in.

    So that is my take...so far. I'm sure these will change. I'm hoping to hit up some movies this weekend.
    Cheers!! And may the best impersonator win!

    ReplyDelete