Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Kinsey and Wade's Top 5 Films of 2009

Well, it's March 2010, and you know what that means... finally time to stop talking about movies from 2009. So here it is, Wade and Kinsey's Top 5 Movies of 2009. Drum roll, please.


Kinsey's Top 5

5. Inglourious Basterds

I'm very surprised to see this on my list. I have not been a Tarantino fan in the past; I didn't actually see this movie in the theater (made Wade go on his own) and had to catch up with it later on DVD. When I finally did force myself to watch it, I was amazed by how much I enjoyed it. The characters were fascinating and the story was entertaining in its entirety.


4. A Single Man

I especially enjoyed the acting in the film; Colin Firth and supporting cast were all fantastic. I also loved how the film captured the feel of a classic short story. A very well done movie.


3. UP

I don't mean to always put Pixar films on my top 5 list, but they're so good! Every time I watch this movie I love it more.


2. Up in the Air

Charming, clever, and humorous, with a strong message which is well portrayed, yet with a light hand and with respect for the audience.



1. An Education

Great direction, great story, great script, and great acting. This film was excellent, truly inspiring and mesmerizing.


Wade's Top 5


5. Bright Star

This was the biggest surprise of the year for me because I'm usually not the biggest fan of period films. But Bright Star is buoyed by wonderful performances from leads Abbie Cornish and Ben Whishaw, as well as an inspired turn by Paul Schneider. Plus director Jane Campion puts forth some beautiful visuals and I'm a sucker for beautiful visuals.




4. An Education

An Education has some of the best acting of the year, especially from Carey Mulligan, who makes the film what it is. It's a simple story, which I appreciate, and it doesn't try to do too much. Instead it simply focuses on the trials and travails of its main character.



3. Up in the Air

With his third film, director Jason Reitman has established himself as one of the best directors around, and as a director who knows his actor's strengths. Reitman extracts a wonderful performance from George Clooney, simply by having him play a tabloid version of himself. This movie's ending really threw me for a loop and is one of the more emotionally devastating films of the year.




2. The Hurt Locker

Best action movie of the year. Period. The Hurt Locker is the first film to successfully capture the Iraq war, by putting it through the eyes of the soldiers without trying to push too much of a message. This film had me gripping the armrests with teeth-clenching suspense. Jeremy Renner gives one of the most perfect, underplayed performances of the year.



1. Fantastic Mr. Fox

This film is so charming. I've always gone back-and-forth with Wes Anderson (Rushmore, good; Life Aquatic, not so good), but he hit the nail on the head with his first foray into animation. Perfect tone, perfect voice work, perfect visual style.

2 comments:

  1. Good picks!! I'll get mine up in a couple of days or so. :) I'm still a little out on which ones I like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life aquatic no good? I guess this would be a bad time to tell you I named my wireless network Team Zissou. Ouch wade, very ouch. McK wins this one.

    ReplyDelete