Friday, March 5, 2010

Pick the Oscars Contest!



Kinsey and I decided to throw together a quick Oscar contest before the show rolls around on Sunday. Basically you just send us your picks by email or leave them in the comments section (if you're brave), and the winner will receive a fabulous used DVD of the Saturn Award winning film, Jumanji.


Here are the nominees along with our picks for who will win and who should win.


Best Picture:

Avatar
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious
A Serious Man
Up
Up in the Air


Will win: The Hurt Locker
Should win: The Hurt Locker


Best Director:

Avatar - James Cameron
The Hurt Locker - Kathryn Bigelow
Inglourious Basterds - Quentin Tarantino
Precious - Lee Daniels
Up in the Air - Jason Reitman


Will win: Kathryn Bigelow - The Hurt Locker
Should win: Kathryn Bigelow - The Hurt Locker


Best Actor:

Jeff Bridges - Crazy Heart
Colin Firth - A Single Man
Jeremy Renner - The Hurt Locker
Morgan Freeman - Invictus
George Clooney - Up in the Air


Will win: Jeff Bridges - Crazy Heart
Should win: Colin Firth - A Single Man


Best Actress:

Sandra Bullock - The Blind Side
Meryl Streep - Julie & Julia
Gabourey Sidibe - Precious
Carey Mulligan - An Education
Helen Mirren - The Last Station


Will win: Sandra Bullock - The Blind Side
Should win: Carey Mulligan - An Education


Best Supporting Actor:

Matt Damon - Invictus
Woody Harrelson - The Messenger
Christopher Plummer - The Last Station
Stanley Tucci - The Lovely Bones
Christoph Waltz - Inglourious Basterds


Will win: Christoph Waltz - Inglourious Basterds
Should win: Christoph Waltz - Inglourious Basterds


Best Supporting Actress:

Penelope Cruz - Nine
Vera Farmiga - Up in the Air
Maggie Gyllenhaal - Crazy Heart
Anna Kendrick - Up in the Air
Mo'Nique - Precious


Will win: Mo'Nique - Precious
Should win: Vera Farmiga - Up in the Air

Animated Feature Film:

Coraline
Up
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Princess and the Frog
The Secret of Kells

Will win: Up
Should win: Up or Fantastic Mr. Fox


Original Screenplay:

The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
The Messenger
A Serious Man
Up

Will win: Inglourious Basterds
Should win: Up


Adapted Screenplay:

District 9
An Education
In the Loop
Precious
Up in the Air

Will win: Up in the Air
Should win: In the Loop

And the most anticipated category of all...

Sound Mixing:

Avatar
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Star Trek
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Will win: The Hurt Locker
Should win: The Hurt Locker

Tiebreaker:

Which film will win the most Academy Awards?

3 comments:

  1. Tara's Picks:
    Best Picture
    Will Win: The Hurt Locker
    Should Win: Inglorious Bastards

    Best Director:
    Will Win: Kathryn Bigelow - The Hurt Locker
    Should Win: Kathryn Bigelow - The Hurt Locker (but only because I want her to beat out her Ex. haha)

    Best Actor:
    Will Win: Colin Firth (screw Jeff Bridges - TYPICAL role. and boring, this will be the upset Oscar night!)
    Should Win: By a landslide Colin Firth - A Single Man

    Best Actress:
    Will Win: Sandra Bullock - The Blind Side
    Should Win: Carey Mulligan - An Education

    Best Supporting Actor:
    Will Win: Christoph Waltz - Inglorious Basterds
    Should Win: Christoph Waltz - Inglorious Basterds (he's my favorite!)

    Best Supporting Actress:
    Will Win: Mo'Nique - Precious
    Should Win: Vera Farmiga - Up in the Air

    Animated Feature Film:
    Will Win: Up
    Should Win: Up

    Original Screenplay:
    Will Win: Inglorious Bastards
    Should Win: Inglorious Bastards

    Adapted Screenplay:
    Will Win: Precious
    Should Win: Up in the Air

    Sound Mixing:
    Will Win: Avatar
    Should Win: The Hurt Locker


    Tiebreaker:
    The Hurt Locker


    **HEY what about the rest of the awards? Like best soundtrack, are we not doing those either?
    May the best person win. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Avatar is going to clean house. They are going to win everything. And since I've never seen the movie, it really just goes to show how awesome it is.

    But actually I really don't know what to pick because I haven't seen most of the movies. I'm sort of bummed that Will Ferrell's "Land of the Lost" wasn't nominated for anything. That movie was pretty good...

    Or maybe they should nominate movies that are having anniversaries of 10,20, 30 etc. years, and those movies could win awards again. I don't think Wade would mind seeing Pollock (2000) winning some more awards, would it have what it takes to win this year? Or how about Gladiator(2000)? I think Wade would really be torn becasue The Apartment (1960) would be definitely be in the running...

    So my pick for best picture is "The Goodfellas (1990). It lost out to Dances with Wolves, but I don't think that movie would compete as well today. Actually, from what Wade says, I'm gonna go with Hurt locker, but I think The Blind Side has a chance, especially if there are alot of girls in the academy... Maybe they should make a movie called The Bling Side, it could be from the creators that brought us Not Another Teen Movie and Meet the Spartans. Yay! or not....

    That guy in Inglorious Basterds was pretty awesome so I think he is going to win best supporting actor.

    I think Jeff Bridges was almost too much like the Dude again in crazy heart, or at least thats all I can think of when I see him, but I don't know if he should win or not because I haven't seen any of the other movies. I'll go with George C. Scott from Patton (1970). I've seen that one and that guy acted circles around Mr.Bridges. If its not Scott, I think it will be Robert Deniro for Raging Bull (1980).

    Best actress is probably going to go to Sandra Bullock from what everyone is saying, but I haven't seen that so what do I really know? Either way, it is going to be a stiff competition with Julia Roberts for Erin Brokovich (2000) and Kathy Bate for Misery (1990). It'll be a nail biter 'til the name is read, thats for sure...

    For animated film, I'm going with The Fantastic Mr.Fox, cuz UP was way too much animal rights BS for me. Damn Disney and their hidden agendas...

    I think Disctrict 9 is going to win for adapted screen play, but I haven't read any of the books, or seen any of the other movies, so I'm just throwing that out their as something that would be cool to see.

    All the other categories, I don't really care that much about I don't think. I can't remember what all they are and I don't feeling like scrolling up so thats that.

    Just wait 'til next year though, cuz Silence of the Lambs (1991) is going to clean house again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't WAIT till Silence of the Lambs cleans house next year!! Bring it on!!
    That was hilarious! I was laughing my ass off!! Thanks Anthony!

    ReplyDelete